Tuesday, February 9, 2010

New York, New York


I grew-up with my grandfather belting out Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" any and every chance he got. Weddings, christenings, bbqs, and holiday meals were all excuses for my Pop-Pop to be the center of attention and sing Frank's (yes, Frank and Pop-Pop were on a first name basis) anthem.

Although this song became a fixture in our family, we were raised to dislike anything that had to do with New York. We are a Philadelphia family you see, so New York teams were and continue to be the bane of our existence.

Five years ago, I packed my bags to head down to Blacksburg, Virginia to enter my freshman year at Virginia Tech. I was a double-major in Communication and Fashion Merchandising and had always been told I'd end up in New York City. I shook my head and laughed each time, because there was no way I'd cross enemy lines.

Well, here I am and the lines have been crossed. Minus the plethora of Yankees hats that seem to be everywhere I turn, New York isn't that bad. Ok, I actually really like New York, but shhh don't tell my dad.

With this blog I hope to chronicle my journey as I navigate the streets of the Big Apple. I'm not arrogant and I doubt many people will read this, nor care what I have to say. That's ok with me, because I actually have a pretty selfish reason for starting the blog. I miss writing. A lot. I figure this outlet will help satisfy my hunger to write and maybe give a few people a good chuckle with my naive attempts to figure out NYC.

As Frank sang, "If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere. It's up to you, New York, New York."

Here goes nothing!


**I'm working on the format of my blog. Please be patient, as I work on making it more aesthetically pleasing.

1 comment:

  1. Great start to your blog. Keep up the great work, even if it is about the Evil Empire ;)

    -- Dad

    ReplyDelete