Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Drawing Inspiration


"My whole philosophy of Barbie was that through the doll, the little girl could be anything she wanted to be. Barbie always represented the fact that a woman has choices." -Ruth Handler

As a little girl, I was a huge Barbie fan (we'll pretend I didn't get Fashion Designer Barbie my freshman year of high school for Christmas.) I loved that Barbie could transform into anyone I wanted her to be and I found myself immersed in my imagination each time I pulled out my tub of dolls.

One day Barbie would be a lawyer, the next a doctor, and so on. I remember wishing I could be half the woman Barbie seemed to be and sat there countless afternoons daydreaming about who I would become as a "big girl."

Fast-forward to today: I don't have blonde hair, nor do I have a perfect -100 waistline, but I'm living my dream. I must give credit to my parents, who always taught me no dream could ever be out of reach if I truly wanted it. They always encouraged me to shoot high and to never give-up until I had touched the stars. I realize my last statement is a bit on the corny side, but my parents have no idea how grateful I am for pushing me to go after what I've wanted throughout my life.

I can honestly say I have not been this happy in a long time. New York just fits for some reason. Not to mention the fact that I've been fortunate enough to meet fascinating people, in addition to experiencing numerous unique opportunities. Granted, I've also experienced hardships, such as worrying about making rent and covering all of my expenses. Yet, I have found the wonderful aspects of New York far outweigh the negative and I am enjoying the ride immensely.

To my parents and Barbie: thank you for helping this little girl become a woman on top of her world.


No comments:

Post a Comment