Monday, February 8, 2010

Week #1: Baby Steps


Baby Steps.

A wise friend of mine (and seasoned NYC transplant) advised me to take New York on in baby steps. She informed me that I would quickly become overwhelmed with the city otherwise.

I'll admit I scratched my head at this statement because let's be serious, how DON'T you get overwhelmed in New York City?! At the same time, this is exactly what I needed to hear. I moved up on a Saturday and by Sunday I had hit the panic button. Was New York right for me? Had I made a mistake? Would I ever be able to figure out the subway? So many questions ran through my head, but then came the two golden words: baby steps.

As I sit here and reflect on my first full week in the Big Apple, I find it was chock full of these aforementioned baby steps. To most other people these "baby steps" would be considered nothingness, but to me they were huge feats. For instance, I ventured out of my apartment to find a Staples after Google mapping a location near me. I found myself giddy with excitement as I came across the red awning with white letters scrawled across it. An accomplishment worth bragging about? No. Am I still excited about it? You betcha.

Another item that stands out after week one, is the generosity and kindness several New Yorkers have shown me. Growing up outside of Philadelphia, I had a less than flattering impression of my northern neighbors before I moved here. I can tell you first-hand that the cold/uncaring New Yorker stereotype is unwarranted. Between my lessors' broker taking time out of her busy afternoon to show me around my new neighborhood on a fly, to my friend and coworker who constantly goes out of her way to help me figure out any and everything, New Yorkers have bent over backwards to welcome me. I will never be able to convey to all of these people how much their help truly means to me. Thank you for helping this clueless girl from the suburbs navigate the concrete jungle that is New York.

So, as I move on to week 2 in NYC, I must remember to take everything in stride and tackle the city in baby steps. As someone with zero patience, this will be a challenge, but one that I am up for. Stay tuned...


Week 2 goals: 1. Spend less money (Why must you hurt my bank account so?!), 2. Figure out the subway, 3. Get rid of this $%$^ cold that won't seem to go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment